Re:sphagnum moss

From: Guy.VanDerKinderen@rug.ac.be
Date: Mon Jan 12 1998 - 00:51:32 PST

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 08:51:32 +0000
From: Guy.VanDerKinderen@rug.ac.be
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:sphagnum moss

Dear Eric,

I saw that you still needed some explaining about sphagnum. Here's
some information.

> Can someone tell me what the difference between moss and sphagnum moss?

Sphagnum itself is a genus of mosses (Bryophyta); there are several
species, some of which may be cosmopolytic.

> Is the sphagnum moss in Canada differente of this in France for example?

No. There is indeed some difference between the species and the
appearance may be influenced by the growing site, although in nature,
all of them have their own niche. For instance, S. compactum grows,
as its name indicates, very compact to the substratum, while S.
squarrosum is a long and leggy growing species.

> The plants I bought in my garden center have no moss!! and It is drying
> quite quick.

I don't know which plants you are dealing with here, but normally CP
do not really need sphagnum, although they may grow better in it.
Maybe something else is wrong with your plants.

> I thought use the moss which growing all the year under the christmas trees
> in my garden (Framce). This moss grows very vigorous under the trees. It
> is like a cushion 2 cm depth and It propagates with creeping extension. I
> think this moss is used to create flowers decoration.

Since Sphagnum mosses exclusively grow in wet, nutrient-poor and acid
conditions (bogs), I do not think your moss is Sphagnum.
According to the description you give, it may be a Rhythidiadelphus
species which indeed is very often used in flower arrangements. It
has not the typical properties as Sphagnum, such as water-uptake, and
very important: its aseptic properties (that is live moss!).

> Is it wrong if I m going to use it?

It may be usefull for certain plants, but I would advise to not use
it as a replacement for Sphagnum.

Kind regards,

Guy VdK