RE: water ?

From: Semanchuk, Phil J (pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Wed Jan 07 1998 - 07:08:33 PST

Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 10:08:33 -0500
From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE:  water ?

> With the raining whether, we have here, I try to
> recolt the most rainwater as possible. I have a shed
> in my garden but the roof is made with shingel
> (spelling?) Do you think I can recolt the water
> anyway.
> Perhaps it could have heavymetal which be dangerous
> to the CP? At the moment, I only use plastic box.
>
> On the other hand, how can I keep this water and how
> long time?. It is safe if I only use plastic bottles?

Eric,
I collect water from my roof which is covered with asphalt shingles, the
standard roofing material in the U.S.A. Since asphalt is a petroleum
product, I think that some nasty chemicals probably leach out of it as
it sits in the sun. In the summer when rains are infrequent I usually
let it rain for a while before I put my bucket out to catch the
rainwater. My theory is that the rain will wash off some of the nasty
chemicals so that the rainwater I collect will be relatively clean.

I store my water in 5 gallon buckets with lids on top to keep mosquitoes
from breeding in them. I've had my water get algae growth but to my
knowledge it has never turned "sour" or "bad".

Hope this helps,
Phil
URL du jour: http://www.431.org/toast/toasthaiku.html