Re: drying sphagnum?

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Wed Jan 07 1998 - 04:31:59 PST

Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 08:31:59 -0400
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: drying sphagnum?

>I've been frustrated lately with sphagnum (dried), which I need for
>several species I grow.
>Basically, the cheap stuff is filthy, stinky, full of seeds and spores,
>and generally not something I want to put my Heliamphoras and other
>rarer plants into.
(snip)
>So, has anyone had experience doing this? Does it work, or is something
>done to the packaged stuff that is necessary?
>I know how to grow live sphagnum just fine, I'm only wondering if anyone
>knows how to turn it into usable dried stuff.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated-
>
>-Jonathan

If you can grow it so the fibers (stems) reach any length at all, the rest
should be easy. Of course, up here in Canada, I can just pick the stuff up
during a walk in the woods and stuff it in a bag. When the moss has had
some good growth, try giving it a severe haircut and then just spread it
out thinly in a warm sunny spot or under a mild heat source (a few bright
lightbulbs). It will dry to a greyish colour and feel light and somewhat
brittle, in a few hours.

At this point it is a dry sponge and can be stored. When you use this on
your plants, moisten it just enough so that it becomes workable and pack it
into the pot. When you water it (I do it by soaking) the material will
expand and should anchor anything you have planted in it quite nicely.

If you let it dry out _completely_ after potting, it can be difficult to
re-moisten. If you are using Canadian sphagnum, don't be surprised if the
stuff starts growing again on the surface of your pots: the spores can
survive a lot of tough treatment. HTH.

Kind Regards,

Rand

Rand Nicholson