Re: browning stems of Nepenthes

From: -Tom- (tkhayes@mail.microserve.net)
Date: Tue Dec 09 1997 - 06:24:33 PST

Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 09:24:33 -0500 (EST)
From: -Tom- <tkhayes@mail.microserve.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: browning stems of Nepenthes

Perry,

>To encourage new basal shoots, I've been allowing the longer vines
>of my plants to droop below the level of the pot. It works quite
>nicely on most, though I've a N. x 'Ile de France' that's being
>stubborn.

Just a suggestion that may help you... Try cutting a notch about 1/3 of the
way into the stem on the top side of the vine - right where the vine droops
over the pot. That should prevent the auxins from reaching the node right
below the cut. Hopefully this will get you a basal or two.... Works great
for me.

Take care & keep on growing,

Thomas K. Hayes

DANGEROUS PLANTS