browning stems of Nepenthes

From: Paul Burkhardt (burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 08 1997 - 08:30:26 PST

Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 10:30:26 -0600 (CST)
From: Paul Burkhardt <burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: browning stems of Nepenthes

Dear list,

One of the less aesthetic characteristics of vining Nepenthes is that the
stem and leaves begin to brown and harden starting at the bottom. After
about a year, you may have a ten inch or more brown stem with no leaves,
making your plant look like a palm tree. I would like to find out if there
is a way to slow or even stop this process, and I may have some insight as
to how.

I have observed that leaves which never form a pitcher, tend to last quite
long and so does the corresponding node and stem. Also, after a pitcher
has turned brown and before the necrosis creeps too far up the tendril,
removing the dead pitcher also promotes longer leaf and stem life.

Further evidence of this was observed with my N. x Wrigleyana. The bottom
four or five leaves all had pitchers except for one. All of the leaves
with the pitchers eventually died, as well as the corresponding node and
stem. The leaf which, for whatever reason, did not form a pitcher is still
green, along with its node and stem portion. What makes this interesting
is the fact that it is between two of the dead leaves, leaving a green
section of stem sandwhiched between two brown sections. It has been like
this for the last six or so months.

I propose that clipping dead pitchers before they reach too far up the
tendril will promote longer leaf and stem life. I know that what I've
posted is anecdotal at best, but I strongly feel that there is some merit
in these observations and I ask others with similar experiences or
thoughts on the matter to share them on the list.

Paul Burkhardt