Nepenthes tendril/upper pitcher

From: Rick Walker (walker@cutter.hpl.hp.com)
Date: Thu Nov 06 1997 - 10:56:33 PST

Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 10:56:33 -0800
From: Rick Walker <walker@cutter.hpl.hp.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes tendril/upper pitcher

I'm forwarding the attached message because it was rejected by the
listserv due to a bad Subject: line. Please remember that the listserv
automatically rejects all messages that include the word "Digest" in the

This policy serves two purposes: 1) it prevents bounced mail errors from
infinitely "looping" and filling up the listserv queue, and 2)
encourages everyone to use descriptive subject lines so that our
subscribers can efficiently sort their incoming mail.

Thanks,

--
Rick Walker

------- Forwarded Message Rejected message: sent to cp@opus.hpl.hp.com by ESOFT@IX.NETCOM.COM follows. Reason for rejection: suspicious subject.

This often happens when you forget to edit your Subject: line and it still contains the word "Digest". Such messages are now automatically rejected by the listserver. Please edit your message headers and resubmit your posting to the listserver. - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >Nepenthes upper growth may not >develop many upper pitchers at all unless it does have some >support to cling to.

Greetings fellow Nepenthes growers,

In response to the tendril/upper pitcher questions, here are my observations. If the tendrils wrap around something (most common in my greenhouse is a basket hanging wire belonging to another plant) they will develop a pitcher , but this is not exclusive. I've had plants literally pull themselve over with the weight of free hanging upper pitchers. Gracilis does this a lot for me. I have a large plant of alata x khasiana that has vined its way up into the rafters and is holding the stem down to a two by four with a staggered row of upper pitchers as it grows along horizontally. Each leaf has an upper pitcher and the tendrils are not wrapped around anything, but they all have a little knot.

The characteristic of producing only ground pitchers as described for N. boissiense "Rubra" I've noticed in N. distillatoria. It vines out with no pitchers, but the ground shoots are prolific. Anybody else observe this?

Until later,

Trent Meeks Pompano Beach, Florida

------- End of Forwarded Message