re: mimosa pudica

From: Andrew Bernuetz (andrewb@camden.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Thu Nov 06 1997 - 12:13:09 PST

Date: Fri, 07 Nov 1997 07:13:09 +1100
From: Andrew Bernuetz <andrewb@camden.usyd.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: mimosa pudica

Mimosa is a serious weed in the tropical areas of Australia, as such you
would expect it to grow quite well in the area where you are growing your
CP's. I have grown some further south (near Sydney, New South Wales), from
seed. It appears as though this is the best method of propagation for this
plant. To me it doesn't look like it will strike readily from cuttings
(although I have not tried). During winter at my place the plants lost most
of their leaves, (min. temp. around 3-4 degrees celsius), but sprang back
to life in spring at about the same time as my Sarracenias. I originally
sowed the plants into seedling trays and pricked them out. However, it is
probably best to sow a few fresh seed into some 10cm containers and then
prick out the poorer seedlings as they develop. This avoids pricking
yourself and disturbing the root system too much (which , from my
experience, they don't like). Use any conventional potting mix.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Andrew Bernuetz
andrewb@camden.usyd.edu.au