d peltata

From: Andy Falshaw (falshawa@irlgrace2.grace.cri.nz)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 12:34:56 PST

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 09:18:32 GMT+1200
From: "Andy Falshaw" <falshawa@irlgrace2.grace.cri.nz>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: d peltata

Paul wrote:
> I found another kind of sundew- it's very similar in
> appearance to d. peltata- long "vine like" trailing stems with tiny
> round traps every eighth of an inch. Entire stem is probably an inch
> long. These are not rosetted sundews at all. I don't think they are
> adelae in any of it's weird infant stages either- I've seen all of
> those, believe me. I doubt they're peltata as this is a rare sundew,
> isn't it?
Yesterday was labour day in nz and I went for a walk on the
hills behind where i live, overlooking wellington harbour. On the
sides of the path, on dry clay, were literally hundreds of d.
peltata, most with flowers out or just on their way. I guess "rare"
is a relative term - they are common here in the wild and cultivation
but mustn't have got around much.
The adults are bigger than you describe, up to 6 or so inches tall,
but you could have seedlings.
>Since it came from the original soil that the d. adelae were
> in, I have to assume it came from seeds that found their way into that
> cup.
They do seed and sprout up in other pots.
> My only fear is that these new little sundews were thriving under
> the dead adelae adults. Does peltata like shade? These plants were
> also accidently pulled up, but I quickly replanted them and they seem to
> be okay.
They were growing in full sun on path sides, in what looks like solid
dry clay. The ones I grow are in full sun in peat/sand, I guess
you'd have to be brave to try them in clay.
Andy