Re: Introduction of non-native species

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Mon Oct 27 1997 - 22:45:39 PST

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 01:45:39 -0500
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Introduction of non-native species

Derek Glidden,

    I liked your notes on capensis on the list. Not sure why you chose
to put my snippet at the head of it, though. Anyway:

    Does d. capensis survive northern winters? (as in 2-3 months of
rock solid ground here in NJ) Is capensis really this prolific? The
ones I've seen at Longwood Gardens (indoors) in PA always look on the
verge of death while their other CP seem to thrive (including a nice
selection of nepenthes and hybrid sarrs). I'll make a point to ask them
if they're continually weeding out capensis. If they're this easy to
grow, I wonder why Home Depot doesn't sell them. :)

    I personally believe most introductions of non-indigenous CP would
result in the death of the new plants. (And now, a moment of stating
the ludicrously obvious...) I think d. rotunds and intermedias and
filiformis grow in NJ because the environment is right on the money for
these plants here... I think that non-indigenous CP (but relatively
nearby, as in two states away or so...) stay away for the same reason.
I don't believe it has anything at all to do with our incredibly high
property taxes and/or our ridiculously outrageous auto insurance rates.
(Sorry, list... it's a gubernatorial election year here, and I'm in
angry voter mode.)

    btw- Netscape's spell checker thinks capensis should be spelled
"cheapness"... what's that all about? I think this is the cheapest
sundew on any vendor list. "Cadences" is also highlighted. Is drosera
capensis known to have musical abilities? I heard they almost never
know the lyrics, they just hum.

Cheers,
Paul

--