Re: d peltata

From: Russell Elliott (elliott@nexus.edu.au)
Date: Tue Oct 28 1997 - 00:20:33 PST

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 18:50:33 +1030 (CST)
From: elliott@nexus.edu.au (Russell Elliott)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: d peltata

>> My only fear is that these new little sundews were thriving under
>> the dead adelae adults. Does peltata like shade? These plants were
>> also accidently pulled up, but I quickly replanted them and they seem to
>> be okay.
>They were growing in full sun on path sides, in what looks like solid
>dry clay. The ones I grow are in full sun in peat/sand, I guess
>you'd have to be brave to try them in clay.
>Andy

Andy & Paul,

 Here in South Australia, D.peltata is widespread along with a number of
other tuberous Drosersa such as D.whittakeri,D.peltata and D.macrantha.
There are also one or two other non-tuberous Drosera, but I haven't seen any
yet!

 I was in the Adelaide Hills recently during the middle of winter, which is
when tuberous Drosera are just about to start flowering. I was in an area
which had been burnt by a bushfire about five years ago, and the vegetation
was still in a successional state, with only a lower canopy and upper canopy
pesent (It was a tall open Eucalyptus obliqua woodland).

 Nearly all of the tuberous Drosera I observed, including D.pelata were
growing only in disturbed sites, at the edge of paths where there was no
upper canopy of trees. They were receiving flitered shade from the Sedges
that were growing over them, but were still receiving a large amount of
sunlight. I guess this agrees with Andy's observation of plants only growing
in the open. They were also growing in a sandy clay, which I *think* dries
rock hard during summer when the plants are dormant.

 I hope people find this helpful.

        -Russell

! Russell Elliott, Seed Bank Director, !
! Australian Carnivorous Plant Society. !
! Sorry, due to limited stocks, seed only available to members. !
! mailto:elliott@nexus.edu.au !
! Please Direct membership enquiries to Brian Denton at: !
! mailto:bdenton@camtech.net.au !
! ACPS Home Page: http://www.camtech.net.au/acps !