Re: 100% humidity inhibiting root growth

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Oct 25 1997 - 10:30:23 PDT

Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 18:30:23 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: 100% humidity inhibiting root growth

On 22 Oct 97 at 1:21, Kate Collins wrote:

> > I feel that 100% humidity can sometimes be self-defeating. The plant
> > has little incentive to grow roots if it never needs to take up any
> > water. I'd guess that reducing the humidity a bit gives more
> > incentive to root.
>
> How much water is actually taken up by leaves/stems? Wouldn't root
> growth be affected more by the moisture level in the soil?

My original statement might well be rubbish - it's just an impression
I have formed. I wasn't particularly imagining water being taken up
by leaves/stems - more that if the plant is in 100% humidity, then it
won't be able to *lose* any water through stems/leaves, and so
doesn't need to take any up through roots. Of course this is put to
advantage - some cuttings need 100% humidity to get them through
their rootless period, but once the roots start to form, then I
imagine that starting to drop the humidity will make them grow
better.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk) http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/
Cacti in Mexico, Cacti in flower, Seeds from Cambridge University Botanic Garden