100% humidity inhibiting root growth

From: Kate Collins (Collins@uidesign.se)
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 01:20:38 PDT

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 10:20:38 +0200
From: Kate Collins <Collins@uidesign.se>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: 100% humidity inhibiting root growth

Clarke Brunt wrote:

> I feel that 100% humidity can sometimes be self-defeating. The plant
> has little incentive to grow roots if it never needs to take up any
> water. I'd guess that reducing the humidity a bit gives more
> incentive to root.

How much water is actually taken up by leaves/stems? Wouldn't root
growth be affected more by the moisture level in the soil? Of course,
100% humidity is bound to keep the soil somewhat damp, but I'm not
clear as to how big an influence air humidity has on the plant.

Also, is root growth affected by how often the plant is fed? How
effective ARE CP roots at taking up nutrients, considering the
acidity of the soil?

/Kate Collins

P.S. I need to let my VFT go dormant - can I put the entire pot
     in the fridge? How wet should it be? Should it be sealed?
     Is fungicide enough if mold starts growing on it during
     dormancy?