ABG theft

From: Charles & Barbara Powell (powell2@Ave.net)
Date: Wed Oct 08 1997 - 21:19:21 PDT

Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 21:19:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: Charles & Barbara Powell <powell2@Ave.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: ABG theft

Benjamin F. Lasseter wrote

By the way, an anecdotal note about poison arrow and poison dart frogs:

>A few years ago the gardens began another important collection, this time not
>plants, but the endangered and very beautiful Poison Dart or Poison Arrow
>Frogs. At the time of the meeting there were several terraria set up with
>various species, many of which were breeding.

>remain poisonous all their lives. Their progeny in captivity, however,
>never become toxic. A hypothesis is that something in the Central/South
>American environment of these frogs causes them to become toxic, and their
>young just never have that genetic switch turned on.
>The thieves who took these creatures deserve to be prosecuted to the
>fullest extent of the law. Go get 'em!

Actually there are only two species of the poison dart frogs that are truly
deadly. Some are poisionus, but only mildly. Or you can find out for
yourself and do what the old scientists did and lick the frog's back. A
theory that my dad made is that the frogs eat ants and that makes them
poisionus. Some wild caught frogs loose thier toxicity in captivity when
you feed them fruit flys. On the ABG theft there is only one suspect. A
young male in his late teens early twenties and goes by the name Josh.

Just thought you should know . . .

Thanks,

Danny

Charles Powell, II (408) 363-0926
American Dendrobatid Group FAX (408) 972-2182
2932 Sunburst Dr. e-mail powell2@Ave.net
San Jose, CA 95111-2264 USA