Re: Winterizing plants

From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Tue Sep 30 1997 - 08:47:42 PDT

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 11:47:42 -0400
From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Winterizing plants

 Has anyone thought about winterizing their greenhouse/outdoor cp plants yet. I
did not winterize my plants last year and ended up with a major infestation of
aphids inside the greenhouse. I did not spot these little pest until early
spring, then the infestation was major. Luckily for me, I was able to locate
where the main source of infestation was coming from and isolate the infected
plants (about 200 pots). It took me a good two months of clean up the bugs
before I felt I had the infestation under control. This is one disadvantage of
owning a greenhouse. I can't say if the aphids came in on my plants or the
neighbors plants, that I stored, or both. I know one thing, I won't over winter
anymore neighbors plants inside MY greenhouse. I had just moved into my house,
put up a greenhouse and figured I would wait until late winter, early spring
before cleaning up the plants. A major mistake on my part. I won't do that
again.
 I usually start preparing my plants for winter this time of year. Earlier on
plants that has already sent up winter leaves. It takes me about a good month to
complete the project, working on weekends and some evenings. It may sound like a
lot of work, and it is, but the rewards outweigh the effort. I find that it's
easier to clean up plants when the weather is warmer rather then wait until it
gets to cold. Here is what I do and feel free to add any additional information
that may also be helpful.
 I first start by remove all seedlings from the greenhouse and putting them on a
bed of rocks to drain. This time of year the days are not real hot and nights
are cool. I leave the seedlings outside for several weeks allowing the rain to
flush out their soil. They also get a daily misting from the garden hose(I have
excellent water in my area). While everything is out of the greenhouse, I clean
everything inside of the greenhouse. I use a product called PHYSAN to kill
lurking funguses or algae. I first wash everything down with a mild solution of
water and detergent, then I go back and spray everything down with Physan. This
product also kills unwanted moss and is an excellent greenhouse disinfectant.
After I have finished with the greenhouse, I start on my plants. I go through
every pot and remove all brown or browning pitchers, traps and fallen pitchers,
spotted pitchers, unwanted weeds, and any other non cp plant that may be growing
in with the cp. I only leave pitchers and traps that are upright, new and in
excellent condition. I remove or trim all over grown sphagnum moss and expose
all rhizome (if covered over by the moss). I inspect the rhizomes for insect
damage, worm holes and rot. I remove any bore worms and rhizome rot. I then
place the conditioned plant in an area away from other non conditioned plants. I
do this with every plant I have. It sounds like a lot of work, and it is if you
have a large collection, but I feel the benefits outweighs the time you spend
cleaning. Two weeks before I take greenhouse plants back into the greenhouse, I
spray them down with insecticide (Ortho ISOTOX) and a fungicide. I do this once
a week for two weeks. After I have completed this process, I put all large
potted plants on the greenhouse floor (my greenhouse floor has a layer of black
plastic laying on the dirt covered by 5 inches of pine mulch). The smaller pots
and seedlings go directly on tables. I mist daily allowing the pots to drain
freely until the weather gets cold then I mist every two weeks or so. I check
plants several times a week during dormancy and divide if needed. Don't forget
to bag up all left over trash that you collected from cleaning up your plants
and throw it away.
                         Charles Brewer
                          Va. Beach, Va.