Re: Pygmey Drosera cultivation

From: Nigel Hurneyman (NHurneyman@onemeaning.com)
Date: Tue Sep 30 1997 - 07:12:06 PDT

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 13:12:06 +-100
From: Nigel Hurneyman <NHurneyman@onemeaning.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pygmey Drosera cultivation

Hi Mark,

I'm glad you have found room in your collection for a few pymies.

The peat/sand mixture sounds fine provided it is free draining and
hasn't become compacted. Night time lows of 50F sound fine too.
Winter is the main growing season for pygmies, but they do like
a lot of light so try to give them full sun if you are in the northern
USA.

The principal factor affecting gemmae production seems to be
photoperiod, so be patient and let nature take its course. Some
species take a while to acclimatise to the northern hemisphere and
some don't oblige if they don't get a rest in summer. I find D
pygmaea and D occidentalis to be very obliging, but D callistos can
suffer from the latter.

Good Growing, NigelH

Off topic: My newspaper yesterday had a diagram of Bill Gates new
home. It has two computer rooms, one containing the computers
to run the house's sophisticated electronics, and the other containing
computers to run Microsoft products. The cynics might wonder why
he doesn't trust Microsoft software to run his house. "Sorry Hon, the
swimming pool's just crashed, the lifts seem to be running extremely
slow today and the timer on the microwave oven doesn't seem to be
keeping good time at the moment - I'm trying to ring my own help line
but it's permanently engaged".