Re: autumn Sarr. blooms, etc.

From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Tue Sep 30 1997 - 06:09:49 PDT

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 09:09:49 -0400
From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: autumn Sarr. blooms, etc.

Following up on Aaron's question about unhappy Sarracenia seedlings: Has anyone

tried feeding them very dilute fertilizer? Since the immature pitchers are
obviously too small for prey, I'm concerned that my little 1.5 yr old babies
aren't getting enough nitrogen. I did give them a snooze last winter, and they
seem o.k. They're just not getting any bigger :-/ Perhaps they might like the
same concentration of fertilizer that I give to my Cypripedium parviflorum.
 Using fertilizer on Sarr seedlings has been used for years. Use half or one
forth the strength recommended strength. Fertilize during the growing season
only, every two weeks. You can foliage mist or pour the fertilizer over the
seedlings. I have done both. Allow the excess fertilizer to drain out after each
application. Water as usual. Fertilize for the first two years then stop.
                       Charles Brewer
                        Va. Beach, Va.