autumn Sarr. blooms, etc.

From: NPLUMMER@hg-basic1mail.hg.med.umich.edu
Date: Mon Sep 29 1997 - 22:27:42 PDT

Date:          Tue, 30 Sep 1997 0:27:42 -0500
From: NPLUMMER@hg-basic1mail.hg.med.umich.edu
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       autumn Sarr. blooms, etc.

A couple of weeks ago, several people commented on late summer blooming of
Sarracenias. I just noticed that the Sarracenia purpurea venosa on my windowsill
is in bud. This plant bloomed in March when I took it out of the refrigerator,
and I really didn't expect to see more flowers this year. It's still actively
producing pitchers, so I guess I won't worry about it. I'll just wait until it
finishes flowering before putting it in the fridge for the winter.

Following up on Aaron's question about unhappy Sarracenia seedlings: Has anyone
tried feeding them very dilute fertilizer? Since the immature pitchers are
obviously too small for prey, I'm concerned that my little 1.5 yr old babies
aren't getting enough nitrogen. I did give them a snooze last winter, and they
seem o.k. They're just not getting any bigger :-/ Perhaps they might like the
same concentration of fertilizer that I give to my Cypripedium parviflorum.

p.s. I'm curious to know why so many people purchase CP at places like Home
Depot when you can get excellent (and correctly labeled) plants for about the
same price from the various mail order dealers. My $5.00 Sarr. purpurea venosa
that I got from Dean Cook last year has filled up an 8 inch pot and bloomed
several times :-). Meanwhile, the local Frank's Nursery sells tiny Sarracenia
purpurea seedlings in 2 inch pots for $3.99 (Labeled "purple pitcher plant" if
you're lucky, "sundew" if someone dropped the pots).

Cheers,

Nick
Nicholas Plummer
nplummer@umich.edu