Re: Greenhouse heating advice

From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Mon Sep 29 1997 - 11:10:04 PDT

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 14:10:04 -0400
From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Greenhouse heating advice

Mark,
 I'm also looking for a nice gas furnace/heater for my greenhouse. I did stumble
on a propane gas heater at LOWE'S for approx. $125.00. It's does require some
fresh air when in use. Actually all gas heaters require some air exchange,
otherwise you could easily suffocate from lack of oxygen. The BTU range is from
6000 to 80,000. It has no thermostat, so the heat will be continues. Another
place to look would be Charlie's Greenhouse Supplies. They sell greenhouse
heaters starting from $400 to $500. They carry both the natural and propane type
heaters. There heaters are thermostat controlled. The Lowe's model heater would
work well for me when I'm working inside the greenhouse on cold nights
otherwise, I use a kerosene heater and fan, when I'm not in the greenhouse. I
also keep a vent cracked at each end of the greenhouse. If you happen to come
across a nice reasonable greenhouse heater (other then electric) post it. I'm
sure other greenhouse owners will appreciate it.
                            Charles
Are there any growers out there that use a small gas furnace to heat
their "small greenhouses"? I would like to find out what make of
furnaces in the 20,000 BTU output range are available and where to
obtain them. I live in Ohio (specifically- Cleveland). Also I plan on
keeping my 10'x12' greenhouse at around a 40f minimum in the dead of
winter. This WILL NOT be a Nepenthes rich evironment- just a place to
keep my temperate and sub-tropical CP's.