Re: Florida CP

From: mark.fisher@tpwd.state.tx.us
Date: Tue Sep 23 1997 - 08:32:48 PDT

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 97 09:32:48 cst
From: mark.fisher@tpwd.state.tx.us
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Florida CP

>Anyway.. I'm curious. Why is it the PANHANDLE of Florida is a good
>spot for CP but farther down into the state isn't? IOW... it seems
>me that once one goes TOO far south in the Southeast US.. you don't
>hear talk abt CP growing wild. can someone explain why that is?

     There are many factors that can determine the geographic distribution
     of a plant, but the most important one is SOIL type (rainfall,
     elevation, climate, and light are also important factors).

     From personal experience, I know the panhandle has very sandy, acidic
     soil, while the lower part of the state has very calcareous, basic
     soil. This is because of the extensive limestone deposits found
     there. The Gulf coast between far eastern Louisiana and the Florida
     panhandle all have similar soils, and also supports large populations
     of cp. I suppose one could call this region the "cp crescent",
     because of the crescent shape of the coastline there (Wow! A new cp
     term! You heard it here, first!) ;-)

     Texas has mostly calcareous soils along the Gulf coast, which probably
     limits the number of cp found there. Southeast Texas, home of S.
     alata, various Droseras and Pings, has sandy soil.