Nep. hybrids

From: john e. cavanaugh (jcavanau@indyunix.iupui.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 23 1997 - 06:22:44 PDT

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 08:22:44 -0500 (EST)
From: jcavanau@indyunix.iupui.edu (john e. cavanaugh)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nep. hybrids

>Greenhouses and terrariums have enabled successful cultivation of
>Nepenthes. Keep in mind that difficulty in cultivation is relative and
>depends on the particular plant. In general, hybrids are the easiest of
>Nepenthes to grow and many do not need any 'enclosure'. I have one which I
>keep on my porch here in Illinois during the summer, and indoors in the
>winter. Temperature and humidity varies quite a bit, but what has been the
>most important factor is providing ample light.

        Please, please, PLEASE tell me which hybrid this is!! (whine, grovel).
I have several healthy, happy neps (mirabilis, gracilis, madagascarensis)
which just shrivel up whenever I take them out of their "space-bubble"
environment, and it's getting extremely crowded in there! Although I have
been growing them in the Ohio/Indiana region, I will be moving to
Chattanooga soon and would like to increase the size of my collection
without increasing the size of my terrerium.

Thanks.
John E. Cavanaugh, MD, MS
Fellow, Division of Forensic Pathology
(still at ) Indiana University Medical Center

John E. Cavanaugh, MD, MS, DABP
Fellow of Forensic Pathology
Indiana University Medical Center
Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Division of Forensic Pathology
Room 157 Van Nuys Medical Science Building,
635 Barnhill Drive, Indianapolis IN 46202-5120
Phone (317) 274-2973 Fax (317) 278-0221
Direct line (317) 278-0462