Florida Plague

From: john e. cavanaugh (jcavanau@indyunix.iupui.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 23 1997 - 06:41:52 PDT

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 08:41:52 -0500 (EST)
From: jcavanau@indyunix.iupui.edu (john e. cavanaugh)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Florida Plague

>Whatever you do, DO NOT GO TO FLORIDA. If you have been watching the
>news lately, you may have heard about the DEADLY disease (I do not
>recall the name of it) that mosquitos there are carrying, and how
>doctors can do very little or nothing to save the life of someone who
>gets bitten and contracts the disease. People and businesses in
>Florida are closing their pools in the morning and evening because
>that is when mosquitos are most active, and the mosquitos also like
>the humid areas of pools. THIS ALSO GOES FOR WHERE CP GROW! Bogs,
>fens, wetlands, swamps, etc. are all MOSQUITO INFESTED. Walking
>around any area such as this is an incredible risk because of the
>mosquito situation. Chances are you would get bitten by at least one
>mosquito (probably ALOT more) and if you contract the disease it could
>very possibly cause death. Don't go anywhere near Florida, especially
>until next year if and when the mosquito disease threat is over.
>
>------

        RUN AWAY!!! RUN AWAY!!! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Grow up, for cripe's sake. There's tens of millions of people in Florida
and the # of these cases is miniscule (I could keep them all at once here
in my morgue, which does not hold many "patients"). What do you expect the
mosquitos to do, read maps? These viral encephilitides, etc, are found in
other Gulf states besides Fla, and as far north as Missouri. Do you expect
the entire Gulf Coast to evacuate? Get Real! These diseases aren't new,
they've always been there, it's just that the incidence has gone up because
ther's been a "bumper crop" of mosquitos this year. Just take the normal
precautions that ANY INTELLIGENT MATURE ADULT WOULD BE EXPECTED TO TAKE.
Put on bug repellent, wear long pants and a longsleeve shirt and wear a
hat. This pathetic, candy-**s moronic hysteria does much more harm than
good, and more harm than the mosquitos would. And you can quote me on this.

Dr. John E. Cavanaugh, MD, MS, DABP, FASCP, FNAME.
Fellow, Division of Forensic Pathology
Dept. of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Indiana University Medical Center
Indiana University School of Medicine
Indianapolis, IN

John E. Cavanaugh, MD, MS, DABP
Fellow of Forensic Pathology
Indiana University Medical Center
Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Division of Forensic Pathology
Room 157 Van Nuys Medical Science Building,
635 Barnhill Drive, Indianapolis IN 46202-5120
Phone (317) 274-2973 Fax (317) 278-0221
Direct line (317) 278-0462