Re: fires

From: nepenth@pc.jaring.my
Date: Fri Sep 19 1997 - 09:01:50 PDT

Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 00:01:50 +0800 (MYT)
From: nepenth@pc.jaring.my
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: fires

>> I read some worrying reports about large fires in Kalimantan
>>and Sumatra, large to the extent that the smoke is causing smog
>>in Singapore and KL.

The entire countryside in Sarawak is engulfed in a thick
brown haze, and visibility has been limited to just a few hundred
meters. The airports have been closed down. Cars turn on their
lights at midday. The hospitals have been flooding with people
complaining of respiratory problems. And it's getting worse.

>Since it has started raining there again, the choking problems
>have diminished.

Actually, though we have had a few respites of rain, the
situation has been getting progressively more serious over the
last month. Today and yesterday recorded the highest counts on
the air pollution index yet: over 600.

Worst of all, it is theorized that the smoke, being as dense as
it is, is actually perpetuating the severity of the dry season by
preventing the hot humid air from rising to form clouds. It may
be a long while yet before the rainy season really sets in.

>Sorry I don't have more specific information as to the location
>of the fires. I have no idea what sort of Nepenthes grow
>near Pontianak.

We don't get much detailed news even here. From what I've heard,
however, the majority of the smoke is coming from the smouldering
peatswamps in West Kalimantan. This would include habitat for
most of the common lowland Nepenthes such as N. rafflesiana, N.
ampullaria, N. gracilis, N. mirabilis, and N. bicalcarata. I'll
be down in the area when (and if) the air becomes breathable
again and will try to bring back some news about the condition of
the Nepenthes habitats (unless we all asphyxiate beforehand).

Ch'ien Lee
Kuching, Sarawak
(~100 miles N of Pontianak)