Re: fires

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Thu Sep 18 1997 - 06:29:54 PDT

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 09:29:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: fires

Jean De Witte wrote:

> I read some worrying reports about large fires in Kalimantan and
> Sumatra, large to the extent that the smoke is causing smog in Singapore
> and KL.

The Washington Post had an article about this last week. The fires
are not far from Pontianak, which is the capital of Kalimantan.
>From what I gathered from some friends over there, this sort of
thing happens every year at around this time. There is a short
period of dry season, and people use fire to clear forest areas
for agriculture or other purposes. It's amazing to me that the
smoke drifts over the ocean and causes choking problems as
far away as Kuala Lumpur. Since it has started raining there
again, the choking problems have diminished.

Sorry I don't have more specific information as to the location
of the fires. I have no idea what sort of Nepenthes grow
near Pontianak.

Regards,

Perry Malouf