Re: We are lucky God doesn't charge us for sunlight....

From: John Walker (jorwa@syspac.com)
Date: Mon Sep 15 1997 - 17:06:39 PDT

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 17:06:39 -0700 (MST)
From: John Walker <jorwa@syspac.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: We are lucky God doesn't charge us for sunlight....

At 01:43 PM 9/13/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I want to grow my nepenthes indoors this winter. But HID and High
>Pressure Sodium lamps, etc. all cost an arm and a leg. I was thinking
>about maybe attaching a chain to a streetlight and to my tow hitch on
>my car, then driving away and pulling down the streetlight to get a
>free HID lamp, but I don't think 5 or 10 years in jail is worth it,
>not the risk of hurting myself or somebody else.
> All I have is 4 40 watt cool white flourescent tubes. If I make
>a terrarium with mylar on the walls, floor, and ceiling, it still
>probably won't be enough light. I don't know where to get used lamps
>that put out enough lumens, nor do I particularly want to spend a
>fortune on electricity.
> Does anybody know a good place to get VERY good deals on indoor
>lighting, and/or how I can improve the shoplights I have now to put
>out enough lumens for optimum growth, and/or other lights I can use,
>and/or how to intensify the light, etc. The high prices of the best
>lights tick me off just about as much as when trying to force-feed a
>VFT trap and having it close without getting the insect in or getting
>it in and then the insect getting out leaving an empty, closed trap.
I grow several lowland species indoors under 4 foot shop lights year round.
I use a mix of cool white and "grow" bulbs, but in the future I will
probably just use the cool white tubes. I find that my plants seem to be
quite happy with this amount of light and the pitchures also color up quite
well. I have heard from others that you can actually give to much light to
a nepenthese and cause them to burn. Seems like a strange concept; plants
that don't like lots of light; but I guess thats how they evolved in nature.

Hope this helps,
John in Phoenix