Re: Nepenthes Database

From: Chris Frazier (cfrazie@unm.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 15 1997 - 16:48:49 PDT

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 17:48:49 -0600
From: cfrazie@unm.edu (Chris Frazier)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes Database

Rick,
        Maybe I wasn't clear. I wasn't implying that the ICPS or anyone
else should rule on the merits of publication, nor did I mean any
disrespect to the current database for not being "official." I was just
suggesting that it seemed a natural outgrowth of the activities of the ICPS
and the development of Jan's database that we bring the naming of
carnivorous plant cultivars into the community of plant enthusiasts in the
International Society for Horticultural Science (ISHS). If someone was
interested in bulbs, roses, orchids, conifers, heck even ivy, they could go
to the respective International Registration Authority (IRA) to get
information and help on naming their cultivar.
        I fully support the following statement from the International Code
of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants (1995, Trehane, P. et al editors,
Quarterjack Publishing, Wimborne, UK) on the functions of IRAs:

1)Register cultivar epithets
2)Publish a full list of all cutivars
3)Maintain records of the origin, characteristics and history of each cultivar

It is not the function of an IRA:
1)To conduct trials
2)To judge if one cultivar is more meritorious or more useful than another
3)To judge distinctness of cultivars

I thought that this was the kind of thing we could all stand behind. I am
glad to hear that the ICPS has applied to act as an IRA for carnivorous
plants.

Chris

P.S. Besides being 'the law' on naming cultivars, The International
Code...for Cultivated Plants is a really good easy to understand booklet on
the naming of cultivars. I recommend it to anyone with an interest in
developing unique and interesting CPs. ICBN0080-0694.

Chris Frazier
Dept. of Biology, UNM
Albuquerque, NM, USA 87131
    (505) 277-0683