Re: Re: We are lucky God doesn't charge us for sunlight....

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Sep 29 1997 - 16:10:00 PDT

Date:    Mon, 29 Sep 97 19:10 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: We are lucky God doesn't charge us for sunlight....

Hi John,

> I grow several lowland species indoors under 4 foot shop lights year round.
> I use a mix of cool white and "grow" bulbs, but in the future I will
> probably just use the cool white tubes. I find that my plants seem to be
> quite happy with this amount of light and the pitchures also color up quite
> well. I have heard from others that you can actually give to much light to
> a nepenthese and cause them to burn. Seems like a strange concept; plants
> that don't like lots of light; but I guess thats how they evolved in nature.

   Yes, you can "burn" plants with indoor lighting. Usually they turn a
pale yellow. I assume the chloroplasts are being damaged, but I don't
really know. I've managed to "burn" some Nepenthes as well as a couple
Pinguicula. To fix the problem I reduced the hours of light per day or
moved the plants further from the lamp. They all recovered (and turned
back to green, some very green) as new growth replaced the old.

 Dave Evans