Re: A Good CP Book

From: Ken Cusson (kenc@salinas.net)
Date: Mon Sep 15 1997 - 06:30:13 PDT

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 97 13:30:13 -0000
From: Ken Cusson <kenc@salinas.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: A Good CP Book

MARK:

>I've been wondering for a long time now...how can a nursery (namely
>Peter Paul's) that produced this great book have garnered such a
>tarnished reputation? I have read the CP Digest archives and am well
>aware of people's experiences with the place.

I know this is going to bring it up again, but it has to do with the
author's opinion on collecting from the wild. In one of the first
chapters of the book (I don't have it in front of me and, if anyone
requests, I will look it up) he makes it very clear that he sees nothing
wrong with this practice and, in fact, if the plants "disappear" ... oh
well, they were meant to anyway.

Personally, I have purchased plants from the nursery in question on three
different occasions and have been very disappointed with the quality I
received, and with the fact that in all cases they were quite obviously
wild collected ... you wouldn't believe the number of additional species
of aquatic plants (6 germinated in my fish bowl), as well as @ 10 baby
aquatic snails that I received in the baggy of Utricularia that I
received from this nursery (some would say, "what a bonus!" but the
snails (the ones I missed) eventually ate the Utric!!

I agree that his book is well written and contains some very good facts
and some "interesting" growing suggestions. So keep his book available
and use it ... but there are many very good CP vendors available now that
offer excellent quality, nursery-grown plants --- please don't support
wild collecting for personal gain at the expense of the very survival of
these plants!

Keep Growing!
KenC