Nepenthes Splendiana defeats ant attack

From: starbird@sj.bigger.net
Date: Mon Sep 15 1997 - 15:25:32 PDT

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 15:25:32 -0700
From: starbird@sj.bigger.net
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes Splendiana defeats ant attack

Hi all:

My large Nepenthes Splendiana plant got attacked by
an ant invasion recently. I looked inside its pitchers
today and there were hundreds of drowned and decomposing
ants in all the pitchers. One pitcher only opened
yesterday, and it's already filling up with ants. Either
the ants aren't too bright (few survivors milling about
on the leaves) or the Nepenthes species is a brilliant
design/adaptation of nature.

Now the surviving ants are exploring my orchid pots,
looking for a home away from the dreaded pitcher plants.

By the way, what's the Nepenthes plant that has the
fangs?

---Steve Klitzing