Re: Re: Nepenthes x. williamsii

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Sep 08 1997 - 18:00:00 PDT

Date:    Mon, 08 Sep 97 21:00 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Nepenthes x. williamsii

> > I am trying to find a supplier of either seed or live plants of
> > Nepenthes x. williamsii...
>
> Hi Tim. I'm curious as to why you want _seed_ of a hybrid like
> this. Isn't it true that seeds produced from crossing this sort
> of hybrid won't necessarily produce plants with similar appearance?

Hello Perry,

    I don't *think* so. I have three clones of N. * stewartii and
they all look the same. The only difference between them are the
colors. While N. * coccinea has the exact same mix of grand parent
and parent species the sex is reversed for this cross and this
plant doesn't look much like the other three, but you can still see
the parent species in the both crosses... I'm not sure if it's
the sex of the parents or just plain old variation.

The N. stewartii all show some N.amp and N.raff shapes in the peristome,
while N.coccinea shows only the shape of N.mirablis with N.raffesiana
colors in the peristome. The shape of the pitchers for the N. stewartii
is almost all N.mirablis, but in N.cocc. the N.ampullaria is much more
evident. The N.coccinea are almost straight N.mirablis while the leaves
of N.stewartii flavor the N.raff. Weird, huh? It seems like different
parts of the plants are flavored depending on the sex of parents. And
you would get a similar looking cross if you keep the sex of the parents
the same when remaking it. Of course, when you get into the third and
fourth generation, things will probably get too muddied for this effect,
if it exists.

Dave Evans