Sarracenia root problems

From: Matt/Mike Froese (gfroese1@MINET.gov.MB.CA)
Date: Mon Sep 08 1997 - 20:23:21 PDT

Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 22:23:21 -0500
From: Matt/Mike Froese <gfroese1@MINET.gov.MB.CA>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia root problems

    Hi, I have been trying to use cuttings to increase my numbers of
Sarracenia purpurea purpurea (I hope I got the spelling right) I have
taken the entire leaf, washed it to make sure there were no bugs on it,
got fresh spagnum moss (no peat, though I probably should use it), and
watered the soil. Most developed a mature root system, but were then
attacked by small silver like bugs. They were only a mm long, they can
jump, but usually only eat dead material (if you let dead traps
accumulate). These little pests destroyed the root system, which
eventually killed the plant completely. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike