Re: Nepenthes x. williamsii

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Tue Sep 09 1997 - 09:12:26 PDT

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 12:12:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes x. williamsii

Tim Williams wrote:

> ...and although I vaguely know that some plant hybrids
> are either sterile or else do not breed true (or not for long), I had no
> idea that this was invariably the case with nepenthes of this kind.

No ignorance showing through here :-)

I didn't mean to imply that this was "invariably the case..." I
brought it up for the same reason you wrote, above, that some plant
hybrids do not breed true for long.

I don't know how far you can go with which Nepenthes hybrid before
seeds no longer produce the likeness of the parent hybrids.

Perhaps some of the wild hybrids, like N. x hookeriana or N x
kinabaluensis, can reproduce true from their seeds? These
have established populations in the wild.

> perhaps...another knowledgeable grower could post a brief (and simple)
> explanation of which (if any) Nep. hybrids CAN be propagated true via seed,
> and which cannot? Or are all hybrids going to produce different offspring
> (do they revert to the ancestor types?)

Yes, I'd like that as well since I don't know much about this myself.
Too bad Bruce Bednar isn't on the list. He's had a lot of experience
in producing Nepenthes hybrids.

Regards,

Perry Malouf