Re: Zambia

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Thu Sep 04 1997 - 19:41:43 PDT

Date:          Thu, 4 Sep 1997 19:41:43
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Zambia

Dear Maxime,

> For instance: does anybody know if there are CP in Zambia

At least 23 spp. of _Utricularia_ 6 spp. of _Genlisea_, and 1 species
of _Drosera_ have been collected in Zambia until now.

> because i frequently have to go there for my job but i never found one
> (i've never really looked).

You should do so next time. All the Lentibulariaceae mentioned above
have *underground* traps (so little is seen of their carnivory if
you do not dig up the plants and C A R E F U L L Y remove the
substrate). Good luck (and of course a good hand lens, several tight
vials and enough 70% ethanol to conserve sufficient material with
flowers *and* underground parts for future identification)!

Kind regards
Jan