I'm back, again!

From: Chris Teichreb (cjt@sfu.ca)
Date: Thu Sep 04 1997 - 10:17:41 PDT

Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 10:17:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjt@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: I'm back, again!

Hi all,

        Yes, I'm back from the frozen arctic north! Well, not really
frozen (on the surface at least), but definitely north! Sorry to all
personal correspondants who I did not keep in contact with, but I did not
have e-mail access, so...

        Anyways, as far as cp's, I saw huge masses of Utricularia
vulgaris in several of the warm, delta lakes. Not much zooplankton, so
I'm not sure what they were feeding on, although the hydra population was
huge as well (brown hydra), so there must have been something!

        My own personal collection stayed south with my wife for the past
two months, and it did incredibly well! Little tiny Drosera seedlings
are now recognizable as their own seperate species. One is even
flowering, although I'm not sure what it is because it's in my
D.spatulata 'Kansai' pot, but doesn't look anything like it! Demetrios,
you gave me those seeds, any idea what else may have been in there? I
probably contaminated it myself, but oh well!

        The only plant that didn't enjoy the Okanagan summer heat was the
VFT's. Most of the large leaves turned black, and it put out small,
winter leaves, so it'll stay outside in Vancouver for the winter, where
it will hopefully recover for next summer. Andrew, have you left out
cp's before in Vancouver and had them survive? Just wondering as this'll
be my first winter here.

        Anyways, glad to be back south. Vancouver looks like a mess
right now with the garbage workers striking. Oh well! Hope to hear from
you all soon!

Regards,

Chris

Chris Teichreb