My CP Page...

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Mon Sep 01 1997 - 15:04:48 PDT

Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 18:04:48 -0400
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: My CP Page...

To Jan:
(you said-)

> Your "Mutt ping" (1 picture) is a _Drosera adlae_ (!!!). No reason to
> worry, only the plant is from the opposite end of the world (N AU,
> not EU), and belongs to quite different a family (Droseraceae, not
> Lentibulariaceae).

Actually, you misinterpreted the picture description... the line reads:

"A close-up of my d. adelae in bloom (the original Mutt Ping is to the
left) in the picture at left."

You see, I already identify the plant pictured as d. adelae, but to the
left of the adelae are a few leaves of the original Mutt Ping. It's
okay- I got a good chuckle out of you thinking I was identifying a
drosera as pinguicula... :)

> The "Mystery Mutt ping" (3 pictures) is probably a malformed specimen
> (I can see only 3 emarginate corolla lobes; there should be 5!) of
> _Pinguicula primuliflora_. Miles (really very, very far) away from
> _P. longifolia_ (spur too short, throat too yellow, corolla too pale,
> lobes too emarginate, etc. etc. etc.).

Except you also say the flower's malformed... hmm. The flower has
finally collapsed, so I can't take any more photos. I have noticed a
sudden spurt of plantlets on it's leaves, but this is pretty common on
pinguicula, from things I've read. As for your guess of Ping
Primuliflora, I must admit that the flower looked VERY similar to the
one pictured on Rick Walker's Carnivorous Plant Database, but the traps
don't look the same in the picture as my picture- on the other hand, the
picture on the database is at an angle that makes trap identification
somewhat difficult.

Anyone else want to try to ID this plant of mine? Anyone else have a
p.primuliflora picture on the 'net?

Cheers,
Paul

--