Re: My CP Page...

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Sep 10 1997 - 18:32:00 PDT

Date:    Wed, 10 Sep 97 21:32 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: My CP Page...

Hello Paul,

> You see, I already identify the plant pictured as d. adelae, but to the
> left of the adelae are a few leaves of the original Mutt Ping. It's
> okay- I got a good chuckle out of you thinking I was identifying a
> drosera as pinguicula... :)

   I finally saw what you're talking about here. While I can only see
some of a couple leaves, the Ping in this photo looks rather like
P.morenansis * P.ehlarisae. Can't really tell though. Have you tried
propagating it? If it's what I think it is or something similar, the
leaves should be very easy to break off of the rosette, much easier
than taking the leaves from your other Ping anyway.

> Except you also say the flower's malformed... hmm. The flower has
> finally collapsed, so I can't take any more photos. I have noticed a
> sudden spurt of plantlets on it's leaves, but this is pretty common on
> pinguicula, from things I've read. As for your guess of Ping
> Primuliflora, I must admit that the flower looked VERY similar to the
> one pictured on Rick Walker's Carnivorous Plant Database, but the traps
> don't look the same in the picture as my picture- on the other hand, the
> picture on the database is at an angle that makes trap identification
> somewhat difficult.

   The only (someone correct if I'm wrong, please) Pings that readily
grow embryos from the *tips* (not the base of petioles like how Mexican
and hardy Pings do) are from N. America and the two that do it most
readily are P. planifolia, which tend to have reddish leaves and not
the flower shown, and the one that makes the most babies is P.
primuliflora. Your plant's leaves aren't very good for a positive ID,
but I could not rule out P.primuliflora by looking at them.

Dave Evans