NJ Bogs, Part 4!

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Sat Aug 09 1997 - 17:46:51 PDT

Date: Sat, 09 Aug 1997 20:46:51 -0400
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: NJ Bogs, Part 4!

    Well, I took a trip to Lebanon State Forest today- what a beautiful
place to see CP!!! Within a ten foot radius we saw five (5!!!)
different CPs: Sarracenia Purpurea, Drosera Rotundifolia, Drosera
Intermedia, and (FINALLY!) Drosera Filiformis (YAY!) and a utricula! D.
intermedia was all growing in mud along a pond and in the pond. D.
Rotundifolia was on sphagnum mats at ponds edge as was s. purpurea.
I've noticed that s. purpurea seems to really grow best in the middle of
or along the side of small bushes. Many of the intermedias were also
making use of tall grass as a support. Most of the intermedias were on
stalks (due to the pond waters) although those in the mud were growing
in typical intermedia fashion.
    The drosera filiformis were a lot shorter then I thought they would
be- 4 to 6 inches high... and also grew ten feet from the pond's edge on
very high, dry ground. The filiformis trap fronds wiggle in the
slightest breezes giving them an enchanting sparkling quality. This cp
evidently isn't a wet (as in drenched) loving sundew. Near the growing
points of each was a fuzzy blob...
    I took tons of photos, I hope to post them soon.
    While looking for the elusive utrics, a park ranger happened by with
a baggy with d. intermedias in it. She said that they maintain a
terrarium at the ranger station for educational purposes. We got into a
discussion of CP, and she found a utric in the pond for us. It wasn't
very interesting (it looked dead actually), but she said there were some
in bloom elsewhere. We never found these.
    Sadly, I must report that there was obvious abuse to many of the CP
in the area- Pitchers ripped open, pitchers torn away then discarded,
sundews crushed by human feet, and almost every pitcher plant flower
stalk was cut neatly with a knife. Obviously, someone is collecting s.
purpurea seed. The area we visited was mentioned on this list- I hope
this didn't send some of our less CP environmentally minded individuals
out there poaching. I pointed this out to the park officer, and she
said that they haven't had any trouble till recently- I'm sure they'll
be watching from now on.
Cheers,
Paul

--