Coconut Milk

From: John Welsh (jrwelsh@nutecnet.com.br)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 12:34:56 PST

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2097 17:10:06 -0300
From: "John Welsh" <jrwelsh@nutecnet.com.br>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Coconut Milk

Hi CPer's, and, in particular Guy VdK

I was very interested to read about coconut milk in digest 1167. Here in
Brazil, coconut milk (or coconut water) is a common summer drink and is
normally served chilled in the actual coconut shell. I have until recently
been using coconut milk as a media ingredient for some micropropagation
experiments which I am carrying out at home. Several weeks ago I received
some growth regulators (hormones) and so discontinued with the coconut
milk. However, one thing which I did not change was my practise of
sterilizing medium in a pressure cooker (20 minutes at 121 degrees C). I'd
always felt confident about using this sterilizing technique for the
following reasons:

1. Growth always appeared to be good (not that I carried out any
"control" experiments, or had any data to compare with).

2. In Kyte and Kleyn's book "Plants from test tubes" the following
statement is made:

Quote: "Some people cold sterilize hormones and vitamins before adding
them to sterilized media, but this is usually not necessary. The major
application of cold sterilization is in the use of antibiotics, most of
which are very heat labile." Unquote.

Would anyone (Guy?) care to comment on the heat lability of hormones?
Specific data on individual hormones would be great - if indeed it
exists.

Happy CPing

John Welsh
jrwelsh@nutecnet.com.br