Re: NJ Bogs, Part 4!

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Aug 11 1997 - 13:06:00 PDT

Date:    Mon, 11 Aug 97 16:06 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: NJ Bogs, Part 4!

> Well, I took a trip to Lebanon State Forest today- what a beautiful
> I've noticed that s. purpurea seems to really grow best in the middle of
> or along the side of small bushes. Many of the intermedias were also
> making use of tall grass as a support. Most of the intermedias were on
> stalks (due to the pond waters) although those in the mud were growing
> in typical intermedia fashion.

Hello Paul,

   What is typical intermedia fashion? Every single mature D.intermedia
I've even seen has had a stem.... Sometimes It doesn't look like it,
though, since rain (or something) has knocked the crown over in the soil.
I have heard that D.intermedia can grow without a stem. Could someone
tell where such plants come from? Juveniles mistaken for adults?

> Sadly, I must report that there was obvious abuse to many of the CP
> in the area- Pitchers ripped open, pitchers torn away then discarded,
> sundews crushed by human feet, and almost every pitcher plant flower
> stalk was cut neatly with a knife. Obviously, someone is collecting s.
> purpurea seed.

   I think it's too early to harvest seed. Hopefully they will not
get much satifaction from these seeds.

Dave Evans