Sarracenia alata

From: Danny Hammons (dannyh@onramp.net)
Date: Mon Aug 04 1997 - 15:28:33 PDT

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 17:28:33 -0500
From: Danny Hammons <dannyh@onramp.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia alata

Niels,

The S. Alata grows within 100 miles of Dallas, Tx, and we get down below
freezing (32 f/0 c) several nights and a few days
each winter. I have had standing water in my greenhouse freeze at times
with no loss of plants. I would suspect that if your winters don't get
much below 0 celsius that you'll have no problems with the S. Alata. I
will say that about 1/4 of the S. Alata in the Houston, Tx area do
appear to continue to grow all winter. (Albeit more phyllodia-like
leaves are produced.) I observed a few pitchers in the middle of the
winter last year in that area....they were minatures of the summer
traps. The majority of the leaves, though, were dead.

Good growing,

Danny Hammons