Re: Sarracenia alata

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Aug 04 1997 - 13:04:00 PDT

Date:    Mon, 04 Aug 97 16:04 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia alata

Hello Niels,

> Excuse all my postings to the list but I have a question also:
> I have some S. alata seedlings that I plan to keep outside on my balcony
> during winter. I have heard that S. alata is the S. which is growing at the
> most southern latitude. Does that imply that it is not as hardy as other
> Sarracenias? The average temperature in Denmark during Jan.-Feb. is
> normally between -1 and +1 Celsius.

   I feel most Sarracenia have about the same hardiness. The temps
you quoted would be just fine for almost all Sarracenia, but I would
not keep seedlings outside in winter. They would have to go into a
deep pot with a recessed soil level to protect them from drying wind or
some sort of cold frame. They will still like bright light through
winter, BTW.

Dave Evans