Re: Cephalotus

From: Doug Burdic (dburdic@presys.com)
Date: Sun Jul 20 1997 - 15:47:48 PDT

Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 15:47:48 -0700
From: Doug Burdic <dburdic@presys.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Cephalotus

PTemple001@aol.com wrote:

> Lee
>
> Pings are my area but I do know about Cephalotus so here goes.
>
> Cephalotus needs an open soil to grow well. By all means use a mix of moss
> peat (that's acid peat, not the jet black alkaline type) and some lime free
> (i.e. horticultural) sand. But add Perlite to make the soil open, at least
> 50% Perlite will be good. Alternatively you can add sphagnum as Doug
> suggested, it too keeps the soil open. But if dead it will eventually
> decompose and not maintain an open soil. If live you will need to give it
> haircuts - very boring!!!
>
> Cephalotus is slightly hardy so it will actually withstand a light frost.
> Despite what Doug said, my plants stand in water all year and even did so
> through light frost. But more than -4 or -5C degrees of frost will kill it
> so do keep it indoors. Ideally keep it wet in summer and damp in winter.
>
> Allow it to get as much light as possible, preferably direct sun, even
> through glass. It colours up well in sun.
>
> There are few pests to woprry about, mainly greenfly (or colour variants of
> them) and scale. In either case spray with a standard full strength mix of
> garden pesticide - Cephalotus won't mind it. First signs of pests will be a
> black unsightly mould which grows on the sugars that the greenfly produce.
>
> You can generate many new plants from leaf cuttings. Pull off any of the
> plain leaves (not traps) getting as far down the leaf stalk as possible.
> Plant the leaf on a bed of damp shredded spagnum and keep in a sealed
> plastic container with good light but no direct sunlight. You should get a
> new plant generated at the leaf stalk base.
>
> If your plant flowers, you can successfully hand pollinate between flowers on
> the same plant (without this I've never seen a plant produce seed). Plant
> seeds on surace of same soil as used for adults but keep out of direct sun.
> Germination is easy.
>
> Temperature is relatively unimportant but growth is faster if the plant is
> warm. It can't be too hot - my greenhouse can reach 130F or more and it
> never killed Cephalotius yet.
>
> Sorry (to you and Doug) to give opposite advice to Doug on some points. As
> usual, normal plant rules apply - never believe that anything you are told is
> the only way or the best way. Always experiment - my way works for me,
> Doug's works for him, now see what works best for you! Bet it will be
> something different!!!
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Regards
>
> Paul

Hi Paul and All,

Well, like I said in my original post which I apologetically repost
below , "I'm definitely not an expert on Cephalotus..". The information
I posted was what works for me here on the central Oregon coast. I think
you might have misread my post Paul since I never said to use "live
sphagnum"...I'd never do that with Cephalotus. I use half Silica sand
(No#2) purchased from a building contractor and half peat moss(milled
varitey)....This is the advice given to me by Mr. Hummer of Cephalotus
'Giant' fame and this mix is what works for him on the east coast where
he grows beautiful looking giant plants in terrariums. In my mix, it
actually comes out to be more like 2 parts peat moss and 1 part sand
simply because I like the looks of it better and the pot doesn't
resemble a wet ashtray when planted. When living in southern Oregon,
where the temperature extremes are much more radical than here, I used
to grow fantastic looking Cephalotus in a mix of 1:1 granulated peat
moss and horticultural grade perlite and as Paul does, left it standing
in water year round. These same cultural conditions used on Cepahlotus
here turned out to be fatal. So, just depends upon where you live and
how much time you have to spend with your plants. Well, just had to
correct the misunderstanding on what my advice given earlier. Good luck
again!!

Doug

dburdic@presys.com