Re: Cephalotus

From: Joe Cumbee (acumbee@surfsouth.com)
Date: Sun Jul 20 1997 - 18:43:22 PDT

Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 21:43:22 -0400
From: Joe Cumbee <acumbee@surfsouth.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Cephalotus

Dear Paul, Doug and members,
   I have been reading and absorbing the information concerning the
cephalotus, without a thought of entering into the conversation.
However when I saw the reference to Mr. Hummer, I thought I would add my
two cents worth. I consider Him (Mr. Hummer) to be the best cephalotus
grower of our times. The pitchers of his plants are giangantic and the
plants are healthy. I have averaged killing at least one cephalotus per
year for many years. This year I pruchased one from him at the ICPS
Convention. The advice he gave me is as follows Use a ten gallon
aquarium, with a glass or clear plastic lid. Use one part peat moss,
one part sand, and one part perilite as the mix. USE ONLY DISTILLED
WATER, and let the media partly dry out between waterings. Leave a
large crack in the lid and adjust it to keep high humidity. Grow them
in a bright indirect lighted place. Supplement with two florencence
bulbs for 14-16 hours per day, a few inches above the glass top. He
uses living sphagnum as a top dressing. I followed his advice to the
letter including the live sphagnum, and I too now have a giant
Cephalotus that is growing and producing large pitchers, and the cep
that I was in the process of killing is now also doing fine.
Joe Cumbee