Re: Cephalotus

From: PTemple001@aol.com
Date: Sun Jul 20 1997 - 13:14:10 PDT

Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 16:14:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: PTemple001@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Cephalotus

Lee

Pings are my area but I do know about Cephalotus so here goes.

Cephalotus needs an open soil to grow well. By all means use a mix of moss
peat (that's acid peat, not the jet black alkaline type) and some lime free
(i.e. horticultural) sand. But add Perlite to make the soil open, at least
50% Perlite will be good. Alternatively you can add sphagnum as Doug
suggested, it too keeps the soil open. But if dead it will eventually
decompose and not maintain an open soil. If live you will need to give it
haircuts - very boring!!!

Cephalotus is slightly hardy so it will actually withstand a light frost.
 Despite what Doug said, my plants stand in water all year and even did so
through light frost. But more than -4 or -5C degrees of frost will kill it
so do keep it indoors. Ideally keep it wet in summer and damp in winter.

Allow it to get as much light as possible, preferably direct sun, even
through glass. It colours up well in sun.

There are few pests to woprry about, mainly greenfly (or colour variants of
them) and scale. In either case spray with a standard full strength mix of
garden pesticide - Cephalotus won't mind it. First signs of pests will be a
black unsightly mould which grows on the sugars that the greenfly produce.

You can generate many new plants from leaf cuttings. Pull off any of the
plain leaves (not traps) getting as far down the leaf stalk as possible.
 Plant the leaf on a bed of damp shredded spagnum and keep in a sealed
plastic container with good light but no direct sunlight. You should get a
new plant generated at the leaf stalk base.

If your plant flowers, you can successfully hand pollinate between flowers on
the same plant (without this I've never seen a plant produce seed). Plant
seeds on surace of same soil as used for adults but keep out of direct sun.
 Germination is easy.

Temperature is relatively unimportant but growth is faster if the plant is
warm. It can't be too hot - my greenhouse can reach 130F or more and it
never killed Cephalotius yet.

Sorry (to you and Doug) to give opposite advice to Doug on some points. As
usual, normal plant rules apply - never believe that anything you are told is
the only way or the best way. Always experiment - my way works for me,
Doug's works for him, now see what works best for you! Bet it will be
something different!!!

Hope this helps.

Regards

Paul