Re: Use of larvicide (mosquito)

From: Peter Cole (carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 15 1997 - 18:39:47 PDT

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 01:39:47 +0000
From: Peter Cole <carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Use of larvicide (mosquito)

Dear CPers,

Temephos 1% SG is a granular larvicide recommended and approved by
World Health Organisation for the control of mosquito breeding.

I wish to know if fellow cpers has ever tried using it for their CP
especially nepenthes. If so, what should the concentration be?.

I am growing all my nepenthes outdoor and would I an considering using it
to fill the nepenthes pitchers. This is a preventive measure to prevent the
breeding of mosquito which are vectors of various diseases like dengue
haemorrhagic fever and malaria.

        Perhaps a few drops of synthetic mineral oil in the pitchers - this was once recommended to me
        as a method of removing the smell from S.purpurea - the oil seals the "soup" in effectively and
        is non-toxic to the plant. I've never actually tried it myself (all my purps are outdoors, so odour is
        no problem,) but it ought to work - the naturally produced wetting agents in the pitcher will probably
        help to lower the surface tension and ensure good coverage. Don't use cooking oil (it will go rancid,)
        or petrol-derivatives (toxic.) Synthetic mineral oil is pretty expensive but available from some good
        garages and motor racing shops. there may be other inert and immiscible (sp?) substances that are
        less dense than pitcher fluid out there that would do as well, so it may be worth experimenting.
        I don't know how it would affect the pitchers' catching ability - I imagine any prey would sink through
        a thin layer of oil OK.

                Just a thought,

                        Peter

Peter Cole,17 Wimmerfield Cr.,Killay,SWANSEA SA27BU,WALES,UK
Tel:+44 1792 205214 http://www.flytrap.demon.co.uk
 Carnivorous Plants, seeds and tissue culture kits for sale