Re: Use of larvicide (mosquito)

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 16 1997 - 07:21:47 PDT

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 10:21:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Use of larvicide (mosquito)

> Dear CPers,
>
> Temephos 1% SG is a granular larvicide recommended and approved by
> World Health Organisation for the control of mosquito breeding.
>
> I wish to know if fellow cpers has ever tried using it for their CP
> especially nepenthes. If so, what should the concentration be?.
>
> I am growing all my nepenthes outdoor and would I an considering using it
> to fill the nepenthes pitchers. This is a preventive measure to prevent the
> breeding of mosquito which are vectors of various diseases like dengue
> haemorrhagic fever and malaria.

> Peter

As I recall, one of the major carriers of Dengue is the Asian tiger mosquito,
which is notorious for using small water sources for breeding. However, the
only known mosquito associates of Neps and Sarrs. are several harmless
mosquitoes that are of no risk to humans. Someone can correct me if newer info
is available.

As far as the tiger mosquitio goes, I would be surpirsed if it is a problem in
the UK because it is a tropical species. (It is becoming a problem here in
Florida, although no cases of Dengue have been found here.)

As for larvicides, I do not put anything in my traps, there are just way to
many other water sources available for ambitious skeeters'. I am currently
trying one of the donut style larvicides in some of my trays and they seem to
be working.

Tom in Fl.