Re: Arizona CPs???

From: John Walker (jorwa@syspac.com)
Date: Tue Jun 17 1997 - 15:28:49 PDT

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 15:28:49 -0700 (MST)
From: John Walker <jorwa@syspac.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Arizona CPs???

At 12:49 PM 6/5/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm a newbie to CP, looking for suggestions for CP that could do well in =
>the Arizona Desert.........low humidity. Can be indoor or out, can also =
>provide clean H2O, and shade if required. I saw Cephalous (spelling??) =
>lives in Australia and wondered if it would do well here.
>Thanks!
>Joe
Hi Joe,

Welcome to the list. I live in Phoenix and have had a hard time getting cp
to grow out doors. The sun is way to intense to put the plants out without
some kind of shading. My VFT's start to burn after 10 minutes and shrivel
and die several days later after being brought inside. I have had also had
difficulty even in the shade due in part I think to the temps (115F+). One
suggestion that that I've had was to grow Drosophyllum. I guess they like
it sandy, warm, and dry. I have not had a chance to try this out yet.
Someone on the list also claimed to have grown low growing rosetted sundews
(spathulata, rotundifolia, etc) in full sun. I have not tried my only D.
rotundifolia....yet.

Indoors, anything is possible. I have VFT's, Droseras, Nepenthese,
Sarracenia, Cephalotus, and pinguicula. Give the plants as much light as
you can without cooking them. It helps to mount the ballasts away from the
plants. Even then terrarium temps can get over 95F during the day when I'm
away. I now run my lights at night to keep the daytime temp's down.

Hope this helps,
John in Phoenix