Re: Growing Darlingtonia without special care.

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Jun 13 1997 - 16:18:00 PDT

Date:    Fri, 13 Jun 97 19:18 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Growing Darlingtonia without special care.

> From: rah@NETCOM.COM(Richard Hyde)
>
> The plant sits in a shady spot in the greenhouse where it ranges
> from 98F during the day to 50F at night when the heater kicks in.

Hello Richard,

   I'm wondering about your temps here. How do you get the greenhouse
so cold with every night? Even 100F. top temp for the greenhouse is
fairly low. The summer here (central NJ, USA) can get months where
it's above 85F without a break with cooler weather. If we have a 95-
100F day (and we can get these for weeks on end), the night will still
be in the 80's, still too hot for Darlingtonia! Greenhouses here get
into the 115-20F. range on hot days.

> I expect that the Darlingtonia would be happier with flowing, chilled water
> about their roots, but these seem to be doing just fine. Just a hopeful
> note for those who may have been put off growing these wonderful plants
> out of concern for their care...

Well, I think your's are already very happy :) I'm just wondering
how your temps remain so low...

   I'm keeping Darl. in a very large white pot (16") , outside where
it gets only morning summer and shade after 11 am.. Often, I have
to use the tap water hose right next to the pot as the soil heats up
anyway. The tap water in the 70's. So far, the main plant has grown
two leaves, the first is about seven inches tall. The largest I've
seen yet. On the other hand, all the seedlings I had in the same pot
with larger plant(s) have died. My guess is freeze drying during the
winter.
   Has anyone else noticed that Darlingtonia growth tips don't make it
through freezing winters? All of mine have to start from a side node
in the spring. I'm just wondering how they manage to flower... Do
they stay super-wet over winter in their habitat? Perhaps I'm keeping
them too dry???

Dave Evans