Drosera Capillaris are a-blooming!

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 16:46:46 PDT

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 19:46:46 -0400
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Drosera Capillaris are a-blooming!

Dave Evans wrote:

>> Meanwhile, d. adelae is still shooting off fireworks of fabulous
>> flowers (and I wouldn't ever say that either...) on long pretty
>> streamers. Does adelae ever stop blooming?

>I have only seen D.adelae flower once. What are your conditions like?

By conditions, I assume you mean where the plant(s) are growing? The
adelae cluster now resides in my Klima-gro indoor greenhouse; it began
to flower in a clear plastic tarantula box (AKA Carnivore Condo, as
described on my CP page) and has continued to flower and thrive in the
KG. The plant recieves 14-16 hours of light from the two 17watt bulbs
(special phosphor- don't ask, I don't know...) 21" above the ground
level. The plants also recieve some filtered NW sunlight in the late
afternoon. Temps are around 80-85 degrees in day, 75 at night. The
planting medium is a mixture of sphagnum peat moss and sand (as close to
50-50 as I could estimate... actually more peat then sand...) and the
sand is an acid based sand (or at least not neutral-alkaline...). High
humidity is always maintained. Watering is strictly via distilled and
rainwater. I never use tap on CP... it always kills them eventually in
my experience.
There are about 9 flower scapes (7 in current bloom and post bloom and
two starting to ramp up) each containing at least 30 flowers. The
scapes have the typical "candy cane" shape growth with flowers at the
bottom of the scape (or nearest the plant) blooming first and continuing
to bloom forward. When the flower is done, the petals close slightly
and turn black, while the sepals and stem remain green. None of the
flowers have fallen off of the plants. Some of the immature plantlets
(from roots, I think) have also started flower scapes. These flowers
seem to stay fresh for a week or two before folding up.

>> Would it be a waste of time to try to cross the adelae and
capillaris?

>No, it wouldn't. But I doubt it will work. Try to make the cross
>in both directions. Sometimes only one way will work.

Actually, this may be tougher then I thought! The drosera capillaris
has already opened and closed two flowers and I missed them both. (#$%@
Work!) Unlike adelae, it seems the capillaris likes to open its flowers
very briefly for only a couple of hours and then the flower squeezes
shut REAL tight. I've only seen the moment before and right after
flower opening. The color looks gorgeous! I'm off Friday, so I think
I'll plant (no pun) my self in front of the KG and wait... :) Reminds
me of the old "Dennis the Menace" episode where good ol' Mr. Wilson
waits up all night to see a rare flower bloom at midnight... (sigh)

At any rate, I think I'll have LOTS of cap seeds. (counting chickens...)

>> Is capillaris self pollinating? Two adjacent caps will be flowering
>> at the same time... if I cross the two, will I get more seed
>> then if I let them self pollinate

>Yes. No. You would get seedlings with more diversity if you use two
>flowers from two different clones, however.

Sorry, I meant on two different plants... my caps are bundled together
(3 plants or four) and are all sending up flower scapes. Unfortunately,
the timing situation makes it unlikely that two will flower
simultaneously.

>>(Assuming that they do self pollinate...) I have a feeling
>> that the adelae isn't self pollinating, or if it is, that it
>> doesn't produce much seed... anyone ever get seed from adelae?

>I don't think it is either. Yes people get seed (and so can you,
>from various dealers or seed banks), but I think you need to have
>two clones to do it... True???

Again, same as above... I'll have to try transfering of pollen between
plants.

btw Dave, thanks for your drawings of d. capillaris and d. rotundifolia-
they really nailed down the leaf shape for me.

--
Paul V. McCullough
"3D Animation World" http://www.voicenet.com/~pvmcull