watering nephs and CP

From: Shalaka Kulkarni (702159@ican.net)
Date: Mon Jun 09 1997 - 14:23:40 PDT

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 17:23:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: Shalaka Kulkarni <702159@ican.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: watering nephs and CP

Dear list,

If I recall correctly, in his book Adrian Slack says that nepenthes are
unusal amongst CP in that they are hard water tolerant. I tried watering my
nephs with hardwater and they seem just fine. I have noticed, however, that
hard water leads to a rapid deterioration of the long fiber sphagnum.

Since I live in the country and access to soft city water is difficult,
I also hard water my Sarr and drosera. For the first couple of months I
waited to watch for any signs of decline, but neither my S. purpurea ssp.
purpurea, my S. flava or my D. capensis seem to be suffering any adverse
effects. I am beginning to wonder wether hard water is really poisonous to
CP????

I would appreciate comments from anyone who has used hard water on their CP
in the past.

Adwait Kulkarni