Re: watering nephs and CP

From: Paul Burkhardt (burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 10 1997 - 08:59:58 PDT

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 10:59:58 -0500 (CDT)
From: Paul Burkhardt <burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: watering nephs and CP

Hi Adwait,

Hard water is most definately harmful, and enough salts will kill just
about any plants. Keep in mind that the bog CPs have evolved in very pure
water, pure as in respect to ions. However, most people use open pots
which allow water to drain out, along with the salts. One other effect
that salts have on water is that they can change the pH. For instance, CaO
and MgO will produce a basic solution. As long as you use open pots, I
don't think there is much danger. Try growing a vft in a closed pot with
your city water to see how long it lasts. If your water is really bad, the
vft won't make it for long.

Paul Burkhardt